Getting your tax documents together to send to your tax preparer can be overwhelming, but we can help!  One of the most common questions we are often asked is, “What documents are needed for individual tax returns?”.

Below is a list of some basic information your tax preparer will need, along with some of the most common documents one might receive. This is a simple overview of the most common documents needed for tax season, but remember, everything listed may not apply to you. If you would like a more thorough checklist, reach out to us and we can send one to you! 

Basic Information

  • Full Legal Name, Spouse’s Full Legal Name, Social Security Numbers and Birthdates
  • Same info for your children 
  • Your Email Address and Spouse’s Email Address (each individual needs a unique email address, per the IRS for e-signature guidelines)
  • Checking or Savings Account info – Routing number, account number, and account type (if you are doing direct deposit)

Common Forms (this is not a complete list)

  • W2’s
  • W-2-G – Gambling Income
  • Schedules K-1 – Share of Income, Deductions and Credits
  • 1099’s (there are many different types of 1099’s. Send everything you receive and let us know if you are expecting additional forms) Some examples Include:
    • 1099-B – Stock/Mutual Fund Transactions
    • 1099-R – IRA Distributions
    • 1099-G – Unemployment, State and Local Refunds
    • 1099-MISC – Rents, Royalties and Other Income
    • 1099-NEC – Independent or Contract Work
    • 1099-INT – Interest Income
    • 1099-DIV – Dividends
    • 1099-B – Stock Sales
    • 1099 Composite – Investment Income
    • 1099-S (if you sold a home)
    • 1099-SA – HSA Distributions
    • SA-1099 – Social Security Benefit
  • 1095-A, -B, -C – Health Insurance Documentation
  • 1098 – Mortgage Interest
  • 1098-T – Tuition Paid
  • 1098-E – Student Loan Interest
  • 5498 – IRA and HSA Contributions

Other Helpful Information/Documentation

  • Alimony Received
  • Rental Property Income and Expenses
  • Business Income and Expenses
  • Any Letters or Communication from the IRS
  • Child Care Expenses
  • Teacher Expenses
  • Medical/Dental Expenses
  • Charitable Donations
  • Real Estate Taxes Paid
  • Other Income and Expenses
  • 1040-ES – Summary of Estimated Tax Payments Made
  • IRS Notice 1444 or other records showing economic stimulus payments
  • Advance Child Tax Credit Payments Received
  • Identity Protection PIN (if issued by the IRS)
  • New Clients should send the previous 2 years State and Federal tax returns.

This is not an exhaustive list of everything you may receive and need to submit to the IRS, but this should give you a general idea of what your tax preparer will need from you.

All documents can be submitted through our secure client portal.  Find more information regarding our NEW client portal HERE!

If you have any questions or need further assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 248-934-0550.


Imagination Library Needs YOU

As an affiliate of Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library, the Rotary Club of Clarkston is committed to creating a community that works for all children and all families, especially those most in need. Literacy is the foundation of a child’s education and helping kids thrive is our priority.

With generous funding support from our friends in the Clarkston community and Rotary network, we have partnered with Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Program to mail a new book to each enrolled child under 5 every month at no cost to his or her family.

529 College Savings

529 plans can be a great tool to use when saving for college expenses, but there is a new aspect to these that is starting in 2024.

Michigan Individual Income Tax Updates

As tax laws and regulations are constantly changing, we try our best to keep you abreast of those changes. Here we wanted to update you on a few changes from the Michigan Department of Treasury.

Hiring: Certified Public Accountant (Tax) (Hired 9/25/23)

The Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is responsible for the firm’s overall tax and accounting activities including reviewing and signing tax returns (individual and corporate).

Change Client Portal Email

Do you need to change your email for your client portal? Watch the video to learn step by step instructions.

Hiring: Senior Tax Accountant (Seasonal) (Hired 9/25/23)

We have an exciting tax season opportunity for a self-motivated Senior Tax Accountant to join our growing team. (possibility of full-time after tax season). In this role, you will be the point person in contact with clients to perform the firm’s overall corporate tax and accounting activities with final authority on assignments, acting on behalf of the firm, provisioning exceptional client service.

Extension Deadline and More

April 18th is now behind us. Here is a look ahead at upcoming deadlines that you, as a tax payer, need to be aware of.

Registering Your Onvio Portal

If you are a new Senter, CPA client and want to learn to register for a secure client portal, please follow the instructions of the video.

QuickBooks Online Bank Feed Category History

Inside the Bank Feeds in Quickbooks Online, there is a new Categorization History feature where you can see your most used and last used coded accounts.

New Summer Hours

Be sure to check out our new summer hours. These will go into effect from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Contact Us

13 + 14 =